Thursday, November 13, 2008

corn bread goodness

ok, here it is...my attempt to keep a recipe blog. i admit, i am not known for being a master chef or a fancy cook. i'm no monica gellar bing! BUT i do have some really great recipes that i like to make. the rule for me is that foods be both easy to make and easy to clean up, and of COURSE they gotta be tasty! and while dinner dishes are ok, baking is pretty much the most fun. so i will try to share recipes that are big favorites here in our house...some from my family, some from my in-laws, and some from just wherever the heck i found them! enjoy and feel free to share your own recipes or give me feedback :-)

the first one i'll share is a cornbread recipe that i LOVE. mom used to only make it when she made split pea soup (gross gross EWW), so i didn't dare beg for it but it was one of my favorite things to eat...with butter and honey melted on top! i've shared this recipe with a few friends before but the measurements were wrong. no worries, i've confirmed things with mom and fixed the mistakes so you can make it and enjoy it in all it's southern goodness!

CORN BREAD (from my momma's kitchen)

1 cup sifted flour
1 cup corn meal
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. melted shortening
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Mix all the above ingredients well. Grease a 9x9 pan and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. (I've only seen this made in a glass pan, not sure how it might affect the outcome if you used a metal one. Probably wouldn't be a big deal!)

No comments: