Friday, January 23, 2009

Hamburger Stroganoff

Here's a major family favorite that my mom made a lot when I was growing up. It's a slightly different kind of stroganoff than what anybody else i know makes, but in our house we prefer this recipe over any other! Any stroganoff is good, in my book, but I have to admit that i do think this rendition is THE best. We'd eat it every week if we could!

1 pound ground beef/turkey
1 tsp. beef bouillon (for ground turkey)
--OR--
¾ tsp. salt (for ground beef)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. pepper
1 can (8 oz.) mushrooms (liquid can be saved to brown meat in)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 bag (12 oz.) egg noodles, cooked
1 cup skim milk

DIRECTIONS:
In a large skillet, cook and stir the ground beef/turkey and onion with beef bouillon and mushroom liquid. Add water if needed. Cook until onion is tender and meat is done. Stir in flour, garlic powder, pepper, mushrooms, soup, milk, and sour cream. Heat through over medium-low heat and serve over hot egg noodles.

HEALTHY TIPS:
To make this meal a little bit healthier, I typically use fat free sour cream and Healthy Request soup to cut down on fat content. Ground turkey tends to be leaner than beef, and I honestly don't notice a difference in taste. I also get the yolk-free egg noodles. And the last time I made this, I used whole wheat flour instead of white. It didn't taste any different, and it hardly even looked any different.

No comments: